8 mentally ill patients sent back to UP from Kochi
Kochi: Eight mentally ill patients from Uttar Pradesh admitted in mental centres in Kochi were on Saturday sent to Bareilly following a court order on the large number of patients from other states staying at asylums in Kerala.
Justice Thothathil B Radhakrishnan of the Kerala High Court had by an e-mail order directed all concerned officials of Southern Railways, Railway Protection Force and Police to provide adequate facilities to the patients.
The order was issued on the report by the Kerala State Legal Services Authority on the large number of mental patients from other states in mental and relief centres at Thrissur and Pallurthy in Kochi.
Health secretary and secretary Family Welfare department were also directed to take all necessary steps for releasing funds for the mentally ill persons from Uttar Pradesh and those accompanying them to Bareilly.
Kerala State Legal Services Authority (KELSA) Member secretary P Mohandas said that the patients are being sent by train and will be accompanied by nine officials, including doctors, para medical staff and helpers.
Police security would be provided to them till they reach their destination. The patients would be admitted to Bareilly Mental Health centre, after which efforts will be made to locate their relatives.
As many as 24 patients would be sent to their respective states, said Mohandas, a former district judge.
Three more patients from Uttar Pradesh and nine from Madhya Pradesh would be sent to Indore Mental Health centre and four from Gujarat to Vadodara Mental Health centre would be sent later, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers