80-year-old Sikh attacked by girl in UK dies
London: An 80-year-old Sikh man, who was punched in the face and shoved to ground by a teenaged girl in the British city of Coventry in August, has died, police said on Thursday.
Joginder Singh from Canley was admitted to hospital following a brutal attack in Trinity Street on August 10. He was discharged from the hospital and later re-admitted for a diagnosed illness which he was being treated for until his death on Sunday, West Midlands Police said in a statement.
The incident was captured on a mobile phone and sparked outrage online after showing 19-year-old Coral Millerchip kicking out and hitting Singh, knocking him to the ground and causing his turban to fall off.
The shocking clip also seemed to show the girl spit at him as he lay dazed on the ground before walking off with a group of youths as someone went to her victim`s aid.
A post mortem examination was conducted on Monday to establish a cause of death, the statement said.
But the results were inconclusive and further tests will now be conducted over the coming weeks.
Millerchip pleaded guilty to assaulting the pensioner causing him actual bodily harm and was due to appear in court later this month for sentencing.
But due to Singh`s death detectives have notified the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and will await a decision over what further steps may need to be taken. It is now highly likely Millerchip`s sentencing will be adjourned until early 2014, the statement said.
"At this stage it is unclear if that is directly connected with the assault," said Detective Chief Inspector Matt Markham, from Coventry CID.
"Our thoughts remain with the family and those affected by Mr Singh`s death and we will continue to work with CPS and the coroner to establish the cause of death.
"Specialist family liaison police officers have been appointed to liaise with Singh’s next of kin and we will continue to support the family at this sad time," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings