80-year-old Sikh attacked by girl in UK dies
London: An 80-year-old Sikh man, who was punched in the face and shoved to ground by a teenaged girl in the British city of Coventry in August, has died, police said on Thursday.
Joginder Singh from Canley was admitted to hospital following a brutal attack in Trinity Street on August 10. He was discharged from the hospital and later re-admitted for a diagnosed illness which he was being treated for until his death on Sunday, West Midlands Police said in a statement.
The incident was captured on a mobile phone and sparked outrage online after showing 19-year-old Coral Millerchip kicking out and hitting Singh, knocking him to the ground and causing his turban to fall off.
The shocking clip also seemed to show the girl spit at him as he lay dazed on the ground before walking off with a group of youths as someone went to her victim`s aid.
A post mortem examination was conducted on Monday to establish a cause of death, the statement said.
But the results were inconclusive and further tests will now be conducted over the coming weeks.
Millerchip pleaded guilty to assaulting the pensioner causing him actual bodily harm and was due to appear in court later this month for sentencing.
But due to Singh`s death detectives have notified the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and will await a decision over what further steps may need to be taken. It is now highly likely Millerchip`s sentencing will be adjourned until early 2014, the statement said.
"At this stage it is unclear if that is directly connected with the assault," said Detective Chief Inspector Matt Markham, from Coventry CID.
"Our thoughts remain with the family and those affected by Mr Singh`s death and we will continue to work with CPS and the coroner to establish the cause of death.
"Specialist family liaison police officers have been appointed to liaise with Singh’s next of kin and we will continue to support the family at this sad time," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?