‘84 riots: Sajjan Kumar denies inciting mob
New Delhi: Veteran Congress leader Sajjan
Kumar, facing trial for his alleged role in a 1984 anti-Sikh
riots case involving the killings of six people in city
cantonment area, on Monday vehemently denied in a Delhi court the
allegations that he had incited a mob to slaughter Sikhs.
Deposing before Additional Sessions Judge Sunita
Gupta, the former outer Delhi MP asserted that the
testimonies, given by other witnesses in this case against
him, were at the instance of his political rivals.
Kumar emphasised that he did not even visit the area
of occurrence of the crime on the fateful night.
"On the night of November 1, 1984, I did not even go
to the area of Rajnagar nor I incited or threatened anybody.
The allegations against me regarding this are false and have
been made at the instance of my political opponents and CBI
Kumar is facing trial along with five others including
the former city councillor Balwan Khokkar, for inciting mobs
against the Sikh community and having six of them killed in
city cantonment area during the riots that followed the
assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on
October 31, 1984.
Kumar also vehemently denied that he provoked rioters
in making emotive anti-Sikh slogans like, "Ek bhi sardar
jinda nahi bachna chaiye. Jo ghar sardaron ka bachha hai, usse
bhi jala do. In sardaron ko maro inhone hamari maa ko mara
hain. (Not even a single Sikh should be left alive. Burn their
houses. These Sikhs have killed our mother.)"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly