84yr old Christian Sanskrit scholar continues wait for pension
Thrissur: It has been a 24 year-long wait for
84-year-old P K Jose, a scholar and poet, who had dedicated
his life to Sanskrit language and literature, to get his
pension, but he has not yet given up hope.
Populary known as Pappu Master, Jose has been waiting for
his pension for over two decades,Pavaratty Sanskrit Vidyapeeta
Protection Committee President Thomas Pavaratty said.
He retired from the Guruvayur campus of Rashtriya Sanskrit
Sansthan Deemed University (RSSDU) at nearby Puranattukara
after 45-years of service in 1985.
The Sansthan`s campus was the former Sahitya Deepika
Sanskrit College, Pavaratty near the temple town of Guruvayur.
It was established in 1909 by his father Kuriakose Master, an
ardent fan of Sanskrit language and literature.
Kuriakose Master nurtured the college, despite opposition
of the Church and majority community, when it was taboo for
Non-Brahmins to learn the Vedic language of Sanskrit.
Despite all odds, the College was elevated to an affiliated
college of Madras University and he ran it smoothly for
Later, he donated the college, building and land to the
Centre in his will in 1973 with the sole objective that the
school `reverberate` with Sanskrit slokas.
The property donated by him now is worth at least Rs 25
crore at market value,Pavaratty said in a statement here today
It was taken over by RSSDU under the Union Human Resource
Development Ministry in 1979 and later shifted to
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference