9 passengers including 4 women, one rescuer drown in Kerala
Kottayam: Nine passengers, including four
women and a child, drowned when a private bus with about 40
persons on board plunged into the Meenachil river here on Tuesday.
One person, who was engaged in rescue operations, also
collapsed and died, police said.
The bus was coming from Cherthala in Alappuzha district to
Kottayam along the rural route when it fell into the river
after hitting an electric pole, they said.
Eight bodies were kept at the Medical College hospital
while the rest at the district hospital here. The deceased
include the conductor of the bus, hospital sources said.
Twenty persons, including the driver, were admitted in the
Rescuers, including Naval divers from Kochi, were still
searching in the river at Thazhathangadi to ascertain if more
bodies were trapped in the slush, the police said.
The bus, portion of which got stuck in the muddy
river-bed, was lifted out after five hours using six cranes,
but no body was found trapped inside the vehicle, as feared
Some of the survivors said the bus had about 35 to 40
persons when the mishap occurred.
However, it was difficult to say exactly how many
passengers were in the bus at the time of mishap as the
conductor was among those who met with the watery grave.
Last year, a boat had capsized at Thekkady lake claiming
45 lives. In 2002, in Kumarakom, which is close by the spot of
today`s mishap, 29 people had died in a boat mishap.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read