92 quakes in 20 yrs: Is Jaitapur safe?
Mumbai: With Japan struggling to contain radiation leak from its stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, which was last Friday hit by a massive earthquake and a subsequent tsunami, fears have risen in Maharashtra over the Jaitapur nuke plant which India is planning to build in collaboration with France –dubbed as one of the biggest in the world.
The local sentiment is already against the proposed Jaitapur facility and the area has seen massive tribal protests in the recent past. With the news of developments in Japan reaching the villages in and around the area, residents have stepped up their ante against the nuclear plant which will generate 9,900 MW of electricity.
According to a report in a leading daily, Jaitapur falls under the Seismic Zone 3 category. Data collated by the Geological Survey of India shows the area experienced as many as 92 earthquakes between 1985 and 2005, with the biggest of them recorded as 6.2 on the Richter scale in 1993.
Geologists and activists, who claim the ground in Jaitapur is unstable, say they are pretty unsure about the government`s capability to safeguard the people and ecologically sensitive Konkan coast should there be a nuclear disaster triggered by an earthquake.
Union Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh meanwhile said the nuclear crisis in Japan is a wake-up call for India and everyone else, adding additional safety measures would be specified for the Jaitapur nuclear power project.
Ramesh’s assurance came even as Greenpeace yesterday said that Germany’s Commerzbank has pulled out of the Jaitapur project citing `sustainability and reputational risk`. The decision was made prior to the Japan disaster, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon