93 Indians commited suicide in Oman in 2011-12
New Delhi: As many as 54 Indians residing in Oman have committed suicide in 2011 while 39 such cases have been reported till July this year, Government informed Rajya Sabha on Thusrsday.
Replying to a question, Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed said most of the suicides have reportedly taken place on account of personal and family reasons.
Around seven lakh Indians are currently living in the Gulf nation.
Ahamed said the Indian Embassy in Muscat has taken a number of initiative including setting up of a community welfare wing to extend help to distressed Indian workers.
He said financial assistance is provided from the Indian Community Welfare Fund by the embassy to those who face various difficulties while a round-the-clock helpline has been set up to help distressed Indians.
"Three local law firms are on the panel of the Embassy to advise and assist Indian national in legal matters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar