93 Indians commited suicide in Oman in 2011-12
New Delhi: As many as 54 Indians residing in Oman have committed suicide in 2011 while 39 such cases have been reported till July this year, Government informed Rajya Sabha on Thusrsday.
Replying to a question, Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed said most of the suicides have reportedly taken place on account of personal and family reasons.
Around seven lakh Indians are currently living in the Gulf nation.
Ahamed said the Indian Embassy in Muscat has taken a number of initiative including setting up of a community welfare wing to extend help to distressed Indian workers.
He said financial assistance is provided from the Indian Community Welfare Fund by the embassy to those who face various difficulties while a round-the-clock helpline has been set up to help distressed Indians.
"Three local law firms are on the panel of the Embassy to advise and assist Indian national in legal matters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'