`93 telecom scam: Sukh Ram moves SC
New Delhi: A day before he is to surrender to
undergo three year jail term in a 1993 telecom scam, former
Union Minister Sukh Ram on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court seeking
stay on the Delhi High Court order which had upheld his
conviction in the case.
The other two accused---former bureaucrat Runu Ghosh and
P Rama Rao, the Managing Director of Hyderabad-based Advanced
Radio Masts (ARM) Pvt Ltd--- have already moved the apex court
for an immediate stay on the High Court order.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and J Chelameswar will
take up the petition of all the three persons tomorrow as one
of the Supreme Court judges today recused himself from hearing
the plea of Ghosh and Rao and directed that matter be listed
before another judge.
The High Court had upheld the conviction and directed
them to surrender before the trial court on January 5 to
undergo three-year jail term for Sukh Ram, Rao and two-year
imprisonment for Ghosh in the 1993 telecom equipment purchase
deal to benefit the Hyderabad-based company.
The High Court had on December 21 last upheld the
conviction of all the three accused and directed them to
undergo jail term.
A Delhi court had convicted Sukh Ram politician and
awarded him five years jail term in another telecom scam in
which he had to spend 10 days in Tihar jail before being
granted bail by another bench of the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!