‘95% HR violation cases against Army in J&K false’
New Delhi: Rejecting charges that the Army was not taking action in cases of human rights violations by its personnel, Army Chief Gen VK Singh has disclosed that 39 officers were among 104 armymen who had been punished in Jammu and Kashmir in this regard.
He said over 95 percent of the allegations of human rights violations proved to be false and had apparently been levelled with the "ulterior motive of maligning the armed forces".
Gen Singh, whose force is time and again accused of fake encounters and other human rights violations, made it clear in an interview to the news agency that he would not tolerate any "bad eggs" in the Army and tough action is taken against erring personnel.
"In the Army, under the Army Act or military law, a procedure is followed, action is taken and the matter is out," he said while explaining how the allegations related to any wrongdoing in the force is dealt with.
Giving details, he said 988 allegations against the Army personnel in Jammu and Kashmir were received since 1994. Out of these 965 cases were investigated and 940 were found false, accounting for 95.2 percent. Allegations in 25 cases were found true.
Insisting that Army action is quick, he said 104 personnel, including 39 officers, 9 Junior Commissioned Officers and the 56 other ranks have been punished.
The punishments awarded to the erring personnel included rigorous imprisonments of up to 12 years, cashiering, dismissal from service and other punitive actions.
"The meting out of justice under the Army Act is expeditious and stringent," the General said. To justify this statement, he said out of 104 personnel, 48 were punished within three months of committing
offence, 20 within six months and 29 within one year. Only two
cases took two years to settle.
In this context, he also referred to the Tehelka sting operation and said all the Army personnel involved have been punished under military laws while no action had been taken against the civilians accused in the case.
When referred to the Machhil encounter in which three Kashmiri youth were allegedly killed after being labelled as terrorists, Gen Singh said two Army officers had been suspended without pay pending inquiry.
The Army inquiry into the case has been delayed as three civil witnesses were not made available till recently and their statements are now being taken, he said and promised action against those found guilty.
He, however, strongly opposed making Army personnel available to civil authorities every time allegations are levelled.
The Army Chief praised J and K police and said it must be empowered to deal with terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'