A Comrade’s advice – Stay away from vices
Kozhikode: The CPI(M), engaged in reviewing the
reverses it suffered in the Lok Sabha and the recent assembly
polls, is also confronting the charges of alcoholism and
immoral behaviour of the party cadres.
The party, which is meeting at the 20th congress, here has
cautioned its cadres against indulging in vices like
alcoholism and immoral behaviour generally associated with
members of bourgeois parties.
The political and organisational review report, presented
by party General Secretary Prakash Karat, also criticises the
leaderships in Kerala and West Bengal which failed to take
timely and stern action against such deviations.
On the ills plaguing the party as mentioned in the report,
Karat told reporters yesterday that it did not mean that
CPI(M) was a party of alcoholics and persons with other vices.
"That shows that in imposing our discipline, in correcting
or taking action against party members at various levels,
these are the type of charges that have come. That does not
mean my party has become a party of alcoholics. I don`t think
that is the implication", Karat said.
The report cites allegations of corruption, alcoholism,
substance abuse and misdemeanour towards women that cropped up
against some party cadres and recommends stringent action
against such persons.
Such ills had afflicted the party cadres as the state
units had not been able to diligently carry out the
"rectification campaign" launched in the party years ago,
Karat says in the report.
Factionalism, misuse of positions in the party, breach of
party principles and sexual harassment are some of the
allegations levelled against certain leaders in the party’s
bastions of Kerala and West Bengal, says the report, which
analysed the reasons for the defeat of the party in the last
assembly elections in the two states.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference