A first in 30 years, DU to miss opening date
New Delhi: A 30-year tradition will be broken when Delhi University (DU)does not begin classes July 16. Due to the implementation of semester system, the academic session begins five days later on July 21.
There was nothing specific related to DU opening June 16, but it had become a tradition and students used to look forward to the day.
"The change has come due to the introduction of the semester system from this year," Gurpreet Singh Tuteja, deputy dean of Student’s Welfare, said.
"The semester system is only for the science students as of now and the commerce and humanities students will follow the annual system. The classes will commence from July 21 for all the streams," he said.
According to the varsity officials, the first semester will be from July to mid-November and second from January to May.
However, the change of dates doesn`t matter much for students, who are looking forward to joining classes next week.
"Although it has been a tradition at DU that the colleges always opened on July 16 but it does not matter to me," said Navkeerat Kalra, a second year student at SGTB Khalsa college.
Talking on the same lines, Afsana Umer, a student of Ramjas College said: "I got to know about the change in dates through a friend and confirmed it from the student’s welfare office. I know it is happening for the first time in three decades, but how does it matter to me? I am anyway very excited to be a part of DU."
Most students welcomed the semester system and said it should be implemented in other streams.
"The semester system is good for the students, and if the dates are being pushed back to accommodate it, then it is completely justified," said Bhaskar Kumar Brahma, a second year student of Chemistry (Hons), SGBT Khalsa College.
"I guess the students will be happy to learn this as their holidays have been extended. Moreover, the semester should be introduced not only for science but for all the courses as soon as possible," said Komal Bajaj, a student of Kalindi College.
About 143,224 students have applied for 54,000 undergraduate seats in the DU. Almost 5,000 seats have been added this year to keep up with the growing number of applicants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in