A-G had discussed 2G spectrum issue with Mukherjee, Raja
New Delhi: The office of Attorney General
Goolam E Vahanvati has said he had offered advice as Solicitor
General to the then External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee
and Telecom Minister A Raja in 2007 on 2G spectrum issues but
it was not written and there is no copy of it.
In reply to an RTI query, the Attorney General`s office
confirmed that there was a discussion over 2G spectrum related
issues in the first week of December, 2007 where the then
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Minister of
Communication and IT A Raja were present.
"Yes. In the first week of December 2007, there was a
discussion held with the then Union Minister for External
Affairs in relation to the issues raised in the proceedings
filed by Cellular Operators Association of India before the
Telecom Dispute Settlement and Apellate Tribunal in relation
to allocation of spectrum.
"The Minister of Communication and IT was present. The
contentions of the COAI and those of the DOT were explained to
the Minister. The meeting lasted about 15 minutes," the reply
from the office of Attorney General said.
The office said, in an RTI reply to activist S C
Agrawal,"no minutes were prepared" on the meeting and "no
written advice was given. A brief note was prepared and handed
over to the Minister. A copy of the note was not retained in
Raja had allegedly used the discussion to press his
point before the Prime Minister to go ahead with spectrum
allocation as against the advice of the PM asking him to wait
for some days before taking any action on the issue.
The then Union Telecom Minister A Raja, on Decmeber 26,
2007, had written to the Prime Minister saying,"I have already
consulted the External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and
Solicitor General of India G E Vahanvati and they have advised
me that as a preemptive and proactive measure I can go ahead
with the allocation of 2G Spectrum space immediately."
Raja, who has been arrested by the CBI in connection
with the 2G spectrum scam, had written the letter in response
to Prime Minister`s communique to him asking him to wait for
some days before taking any action on spectrum allocation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant