A mass movement needs 1 crore people: Ramdev
New Delhi: Amid thinning crowds, Team Anna’s indefinite fast at Jantar Mantar received a boost on Friday afternoon when noted yoga guru Baba Ramdev arrived there with hundreds of people.
The crowds swelled at the protest site as soon as Baba Ramdev reached there and sat on the stage along with Anna Hazare.
Prior to joining Anna at Jantar Mantar, Ramdev had stressed on the importance of people’s support for a mass movement to be successful.
Talking to reporters, Ramdev said, “For any mass movement to be called successful, participation of nearly one percent of the total population is required.”
However, he was quick to stress that one should refrain from asking demeaning questions over the success of such movements, which are started in the best interest of the people.
When quizzed by the reporters, he said, “I have held more than eleven thousand public meetings and rallies all over the world and they were all successful. I have served the people of this country in the past twenty year and have never experienced lack of public support to any of my rallies.”
Although he refrained from making a direct comment on Team Anna’s poor show, he said, “None of my public meeting or rallies were flop.”
The yoga guru, who had earlier shared dais with Team Anna and made scathing remarks on the Congress-led UPA government for failing to stem the rot of corruption, is due to start his own fast at the historic Ramlila Maidan from August 9.
Ramdev’s August 9 agitation will target the ruling disposition on the issue of corruption and black money stashed abroad.
After pledging his support to Team Anna’s ongoing agitation, Baba Ramdev will go to oversee the preparation for his proposed indefinite fast, which he believes would be a major crowd puller.
Ramdev’s indirect remark on fast dwindling public support to Team Anna is an indication of widening rift between the two sides.
His remarks also put Team Anna’s agitation in a poor light which entered its the third day today with crowds still keeping away from the protest site.
The crowd count was around 300 at this morning when Anna Hazare took the dais along with his close aides at Jantar Mantar. The protest site wore a deserted look with people seen only near the stage.
After the poor public turnout at Jantar Mantar, Anna Hazare has now stepped in to salvage the agitation. Reacting on the matter, Anna Hazare has said that he does not care about how many people turn up to support and that it is a non-issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof