A mass movement needs 1 crore people: Ramdev
New Delhi: Amid thinning crowds, Team Anna’s indefinite fast at Jantar Mantar received a boost on Friday afternoon when noted yoga guru Baba Ramdev arrived there with hundreds of people.
The crowds swelled at the protest site as soon as Baba Ramdev reached there and sat on the stage along with Anna Hazare.
Prior to joining Anna at Jantar Mantar, Ramdev had stressed on the importance of people’s support for a mass movement to be successful.
Talking to reporters, Ramdev said, “For any mass movement to be called successful, participation of nearly one percent of the total population is required.”
However, he was quick to stress that one should refrain from asking demeaning questions over the success of such movements, which are started in the best interest of the people.
When quizzed by the reporters, he said, “I have held more than eleven thousand public meetings and rallies all over the world and they were all successful. I have served the people of this country in the past twenty year and have never experienced lack of public support to any of my rallies.”
Although he refrained from making a direct comment on Team Anna’s poor show, he said, “None of my public meeting or rallies were flop.”
The yoga guru, who had earlier shared dais with Team Anna and made scathing remarks on the Congress-led UPA government for failing to stem the rot of corruption, is due to start his own fast at the historic Ramlila Maidan from August 9.
Ramdev’s August 9 agitation will target the ruling disposition on the issue of corruption and black money stashed abroad.
After pledging his support to Team Anna’s ongoing agitation, Baba Ramdev will go to oversee the preparation for his proposed indefinite fast, which he believes would be a major crowd puller.
Ramdev’s indirect remark on fast dwindling public support to Team Anna is an indication of widening rift between the two sides.
His remarks also put Team Anna’s agitation in a poor light which entered its the third day today with crowds still keeping away from the protest site.
The crowd count was around 300 at this morning when Anna Hazare took the dais along with his close aides at Jantar Mantar. The protest site wore a deserted look with people seen only near the stage.
After the poor public turnout at Jantar Mantar, Anna Hazare has now stepped in to salvage the agitation. Reacting on the matter, Anna Hazare has said that he does not care about how many people turn up to support and that it is a non-issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah