A presidential reception with a difference
New Delhi: As grey clouds gathered in the sky in the evening -- but mercifully did not rain, the majestic Rashtrapati Bhavan lawns Thursday saw President Pranab Mukherjee warmly greeting hundreds of guests, who included political leaders and dignitaries, at the annual presidential reception on Independence Day.
With the presidential band striking up some lively tunes, President Pranab Mukherjee mingled with his guests, including Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi, and opposition leaders LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley - all from the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
With dragon flies flitting about on the lawns and the peafowl calling loudly in the backdrop, the spacious Rashtrapati Bhavan lawns made the perfect setting for the At Home reception. The gathering of VVIPs included ministers, ambassadors, bureaucrats and artistes.
President Mukherjee, who has broken away from tradition to mingle with the crowds, Thursday too took a detour after meeting with the dignitaries and greeted the eager crowds with a namastey.
The presidential guards in their white and gold liveries stood on guard while the smartly turned out Aide-de-Camps were all attendance as Mukherjee walked among the crowd meeting people.
President Mukherjee spent a while chatting with BJP leaders Advani, and the two leaders of Opposition in Parliament, Sushma Swaraj and Jaitley -- and camerapersons made the most of the photo-op, what with the monsoon session still on and crucial bills, including the Food Security Bill, yet to be passed.
After President Mukherjee had met the people, it was the turn of the others to meet and greet each other. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met the dignitaries gathered.
Among the envoys present were those of immediate neighbours - including Pakistan High Commissioner Salman Bashir and Bangladesh High Commissioner Tariq Karim.
The President`s wife Suvra Mukherjee was also present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti