A sharp jerk and the coaches overturned...
Jhargram: "It was pitch dark... when I regained my senses, I somehow managed to scramble out of the coach through the emergency window," said Anil Gupta, who was
onboard the Maharashtra-bound Express train which came under Maoist attack in the wee hours on Friday.
There was a sharp jerk, as the driver braked, and then some of the coaches overturned, another passenger of the Howrah-Kurla Lokmanya Tilak Gyaneshwari Super Deluxe Express which was targeted by Maoists, killing 65 passengers and injuring 200 others, said.
The attack led to derailment of 13 coaches with five of them being hit by a goods train coming from the opposite direction.
According to some of the survivors, just after the train derailed, they heard a "crash like" sound and a goods train coming from the other direction rammed into the coaches which
had overturned on the down line.
Five coaches -- S-4 to S-8 -- were the most-affected with coach-9 having telescoped into the one ahead of it. Four wagons of the goods train also derailed.
"All of us have escaped death," said Jagabandhu Sardar, who along with his wife and three daughters, was travelling in S-6, one of the worst-affected bogies.
"We were sleeping when suddenly we were thrown around. But, all of us managed to come out through the emergency window," he said.
The incident took place around 1.30 am, but "till 4:00 am nobody came to our rescue," said Shaikh Manirudddin, who suffered a head injury.
Belongings of passengers, including their suitcases, bags and shoes were strewn around the site of the derailment.
At least 23 bodies, wrapped in cloth, were lined up by rescuers in the open as search for survivors continued. Dazed passengers, some with injuries, were sitting beside the
Rescue workers were trying to enter the overturned bogies using gas-cutters.
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee was present at the site as a team of army and railway personnel and of district administration were carrying out the rescue work. People in
large number have gathered from nearby villages around the site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'