A/Cs of 30 NGOs frozen, 70 banned: Govt
New Delhi: Government has frozen accounts of 30 NGOs and banned 70 other voluntary organisations from receiving foreign contribution following allegation of violation of laws.
Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran told Rajya Sabha that 24 such cases have been referred to CBI while seven other cases have been given to state police for investigation.
"Accounts of 30 NGOs have been frozen, 35 NGOs have been placed in prior permission category and 70 NGOs have been prohibited from receiving foreign contribution," he said.
The Minister said a total of Rs 9,946.91 crore was received as foreign contribution by various Non-Governmental Organisations in 2007-08 and Rs 10,993.56 crore was received as foreign contribution by the NGOs in 2008-09.
Rs 10,352.07 crore was received by various NGOs as foreign contribution during 2009-10, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!