`Aadhaar to ensure money reaches to people`
Amethi: The Aadhaar scheme, which aims to
provide each citizen with a 12-digit unique number, has been launched to ensure that the funds allocated by the Centre for various schemes directly reach the beneficiaries, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi said Thursday.
"Rajiv Gandhiji had once said that of Re 1 released by
the government, only 15 paise reaches the people. Situation is
same today," Rahul said at a function here.
The local MP rued that crores of rupees were being
released under various schemes including NREGA and Sarv
Shiksha Abhiyan, but it`s not reaching the people. "It is not
about UP alone, situation is same across the country."
He said an effort has been made to change the situation
by launching Aadhaar scheme.
"Under the scheme, thumb impression of people are being
taken and a number is being allotted to each of them. This
number will be their identity. An unique identity is being
created for each Indian," he explained while inaugurating a
branch of Corporation Bank here.
The banking services have been linked with the aadhaar card and there would be one identity number and bank account, the said.
"After this, whatever money we will send from Delhi will directly reach your bank accounts. It is an attempt to fix
this 15 paise problem," he said, adding the aadhaar card will
also address the discrepancies in BPL list.
"In next two to three years, we will distribute aadhaar
cards to all Indians so that whatever money is allocated it
reaches directly to the pocket of the people," he said.
He said that country cannot progress unless banking services reach poor, farmers and labourers.
Earlier, Rahul visited the house of Ajay Gupta, who was
killed with his wife and two others on October 13, and met
Gupta`s mother handed him over a memorandum demanding a
CBI inquiry into the matter, party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Mohan Bhagwat's comments on Hindu population are 'outdated': Shiv Sena
- Wow! Google Duo now available in India to make free video calls
- In Goa, Arvind Kejriwal says AAP has no money to fight elections
- Turkish soldier killed in clash with Kurdish militants - security sources
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'