AAI chairman held guilty of contempt of court
New Delhi: Airport Authority of India (AAI) chairman VP Aggarwal on Friday moved the Delhi High Court challenging its single-judge bench`s order convicting him for contempt of court for his failure to appoint a man as an AAI manager as per its earlier order.
On Aggarwal`s appeal, a division bench of justices Vikramajit Sen and Siddharth Mridul asked him to appear before it in person on August 23, the next day of the hearing.
Justice Indermeet Kaur, who earlier held the AAI chairman guilty of contempt of court, too has slated August 23 to pronounce her sentence against Aggarwal.
Justice Kaur had on August 16 convicted Aggarwal for contempt of court on a plea by one Arun Kumar Jain who had applied to AAI for the post of Electronics Manager.
"VP Aggarwal, the Chairman of Airport Authority of India, is held guilty of contempt of court. He is, accordingly, convicted under sections 11 and 12 of the
Contempt of Court Act," Justice Kaur had said.
"For not issuing the petitioner (Jain) the appointment letter, the respondent( Aggarwal) is clearly guilty of contempt of court," she had said.
"The respondent (Aggarwal) has wilfully and intentionally not complied with the specific mandamus issued to him which amount to nothing short of interfering in the administration of justice," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’