Aam Aadmi Party flays appointment of Sharma as new CAG
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Tuesday criticised the appointment of Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma as the new Comptroller and Auditor General and accused the government of weakening the watchdog institutions by putting "weak" people in the job.
AAP founder member and senior advocate Prashant Bhushan also contended that Sharma`s appointment amounted to conflict of interest as he would be auditing defence procurements of the period (2003-2010) during which he held positions responsible for acquisitions in the defence ministry.
Noting that there is no formal system for appointment or selection of CAG of India and government can appoint anybody, Bhushan demanded setting up of a "transparent system" for appointments to such watchdog posts.
"Government is slowly but continuously appointing persons who are weak and who don`t have spine to watchdog bodies like CAG, CVC, CIC, Election Commission, which keep an eye on the government," Bhushan said at a press conference here.
This is being done so that these watchdogs don`t question the government`s decisions, he said and alleged that all such watchdog bodies are being "systematically crippled" by the government.
"After being bitten by the people like present CAG Vinod Rai, the government is taking extra care to see that persons who are appointed to such posts have a conflict of interest in the matters so they are not able to do anything," he said.
He claimed that there was "no transparency" in Sharma`s appointment and as a result it is "illegal and unconstitutional" decision which is "liable to be struck down."
The AAP member also questioned the "silence" maintained by the opposition parties over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital