AAP announces sixth list for LS polls, fields Shazia Ilmi from Ghaziabad, Soni Sori from Bastar
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Saturday announced names of 55 candidates for the upcoming Lok Sabha polls and named Shazia Ilmi as its candidate from Ghaziabad constituency.
AAP leader Soni Sori will be contesting from Chhattisgarh`s Bastar.
The list includes seats in 13 states and three union territories.
The party declared candidates for Northeastern states of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Manipur- one each for the four states-, two each in Kerela and Goa, one each in Union Territories of Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Andaman and Nicobar islands, three each in Uttarakhand and Chattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh (10), Odisha (10), Rajasthan (5), Madhya Pradesh (7), Maharashtra (6).
With this list, the total number of candidates declared by the AAP so far has gone up to 242.
Sori, who will enter the electoral fray from Bastar, was granted bail by the Supreme Court last month in a case lodged against her for allegedly receiving money from Essar Group on behalf of Maoists.
The 36-year-old Sori and her activist-nephew Kodopi (25) were arrested on charges of acting as Maoist conduits who had allegedly received protection money for the rebels from Essar Group in Chhattisgarh.
Sources said that AAP leader Prashant Bhushan had approached Sori to contest on behalf of the party from Bastar constituency from where she hails.
Ilmi will contest from Ghaziabad although the party initially wanted her to take on Congress President Sonia Gandhi in Rae Baireli but she declined to do so. She was reportedly unhappy that she was not considered for New Delhi seat, prompting the party to give her Ghaziabad constituency.
Although the seat does not fall in Delhi, it is in NCR where AAP enjoys support. The seat is currently represented by BJP National President Rajnath Singh.
Former IPS officer Kanchan Choudhary Bhattacharya, first woman DGP of any state will contest from Haridwar in Uttarkhand on AAP ticket.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says