AAP condemns denial of asylum to Snowden by India
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Wednesday condemned the central government for denying asylum to fugitive former CIA agent Edward Snowden who blew the whistle on US data mining.
"The Aam Aadmi Party condemns these cowardly acts of our government and demands that as a country governed by a constitution which protects civil liberties, and committed to protecting whistleblowers, the government must stand up to the US and offer political asylum to Snowden," the AAP said in a statement.
Snowden, who is holed up in the transit lounge at Moscow airport, has sought asylum from 21 countries including India. His US passport has been revoked.
"Instead of honouring this hero as a whistleblower who has alerted us all to this massive violation of citizen`s as well as the national rights of all countries, including India, our government has meekly capitulated to US pressure and refused asylum to Snowden with great alacrity," the AAP said.
The party also attacked External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid for "justifying" the US government`s global eavesdropping and surveillance programme, codenamed Prism.
"The thin veneer of justification offered that such massive surveillance was used to prevent terrorist attacks is absurd in the light of the fact that there is no single terrorist attack which has been shown to have been prevented by such surveillance," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Sky is the limit for investments in India: Arun Jaitley
- Like seriously! Kanye West lying naked along with other 11 personalities in his 'Famous' video - Watch
- Why hot climate fuels aggression, violence
- Dinosaur-era bugs knew how to camouflage
- Mumbai school refuses admission to boy, judge offers to pay fees