AAP member Ashok Agarwal resigns, says party functioning like private company
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In yet another blow to Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party ahead of the upcoming General Elections, national executive member Ashok Agarwal resigned from the party on Tuesday.
Speaking to ANI, Aggarwal confirmed his resignation saying that has quit from the post of national executive and all other posts of the AAP.
Agarwal said he was unhappy with the ticket distribution process. He alleged that tickets for the Lok sabha polls were being given to the elite and the common man was sidelined.
Agarwal who has been associated with the party since 2012, said he joined hands with the AAP because he though that it stood for "strong principles to benefit the last man in the society".
In a letter to Kejriwal, Agarwal, who has been associated with the party since its founding days, said that he joined the party for strong principles, but the goals for which it was created for are getting lost.
"The movement seems to have become directionless causing doubts in the minds of people and even people like me who are today feeling the party is functioning like a private company.
"The connect of Aam Aadmi is on wean and a group of elite individuals is promoted to take over the party. Aam Aadmi has taken a back seat and what`s on the mind of such individuals is personal projection at the cost of that very Aam Aadmi vision," Agarwal said in the letter.
Agarwal`s resignation comes a day after AAP candidate Savita Bhatti, widow of comedian-actor Jaspal Bhatt declined to contest for the Chandigarh Lok Sabha seat.
The AAP last month released a second of list of 30 candidates for the upcoming Lok Sabha election with prominent names being Rajmohan Gandhi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi and former BJP MP Rajan Sushant.
The list has one candidate each from Delhi, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarkhand and Jammu and Kashmir, three from Rajasthan, five from Haryana, ten from Maharashtra and six from Madhya Pradesh.
Banker Meera Sanyal and activist Mayank Gandhi figured in the AAP`s first list of probable candidates for forthcoming elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'