AAP now a recognised party, broom to be reserved symbol
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party on Thursday got recognition as a recognised state party and reserved symbol of broom in Delhi from the Election Commission on the basis of its performance in the just-concluded Delhi Assembly polls.
The election symbol of "broom" will now be reserved for the AAP in Delhi. Elsewhere in the country, its candidates will also get the benefit of contesting under the "broom" symbol, i e, they will get preference in case other candidates apply for it.
The recognition to AAP, which is in the process of deciding on whether to form its government in Delhi with Congress support, came after it fulfilled the laid criterion in this regard.
As per laid norms, a party may be recognised by the Election Commission if it wins atleast three per cent seats, subject to a minimum of three seats and atleast six per cent of total valid votes.
The AAP has far outperformed on this criterion in Delhi assembly polls where it won 28 seats in the 70-member House and took over 25 per cent vote share.
Meanwhile, AAP is seeking public opinion on whether to form its government after the Delhi assembly election results gave a hung verdict.
While BJP won 31 seats, with one to its ally SAD. One seat was won by JD-U and one by an independent. The Congress won only eight seats, after the Delhi voters rejected the 15-year-old Sheila Dikshit government in the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends