AAP workers ‘assaulted’ by cops, Kejriwal to move SC
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Monday said it will move the Supreme Court seeking justice for the party workers who were allegedly assaulted by the staff of Gokulpuri police station. The party workers went to the police station on June 19 to demand registration of an FIR in a gangrape case.
"Police targeted our workers because we have pushed them to take action in several rape cases earlier. We will file an affidavit in this matter with the Supreme Court demanding judicial intervention for proper investigation in the case and compensation for the victims," AAP president Arvind Kejriwal said.
"Our workers were protesting outside Gokulpuri police station demanding registration of an FIR in the gangrape case of a Bihari woman. Instead of filing an FIR, police personnel brutally beat them up and arrested 18 people on false charges," he said.
Those arrested include three minor girls, one of which is Bittu Rawat - the girl who was slapped by an ACP during protests after the rape of a five-year-old girl, he said.
Kejriwal was flanked by AAP workers, allegedly assaulted by police, who have come out on bail. Many of them had their hands and legs heavily bandaged and marks of bruises on their body. Sharing their stories, they claimed police had targeted them wilfully.
"We were asking them to file an FIR in the rape case but they beat us up and abused us. Even male police officers assaulted girls and women among us," said 17-year-old Rawat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested