Aarushi case: HC rejects Talwars’ plea for summoning 14 witnesses
Zee Media Bureau
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Tuesday rejected a petition of dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, accused of killing their daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj, seeking summoning of 14 witnesses and recording their statements in trial court.
The Noida-based couple had filed the petition on May 15, days after they were ticked off by the Supreme Court for adopting `a wrong procedure` by approaching it directly without first having moved the High Court.
The Talwars had challenged a CBI court order on May 4 whereby their request for summoning and recording statements of 14 witnesses, including top IPS officer Arun Kumar who is at present the ADG (Law and Order) of Uttar Pradesh and was a Joint Director of the CBI during the probe, was turned down.
Aarushi was found dead with her throat slit in her bedroom on May 16, 2008. The initial suspicion went on Hemraj whose body was later found in the terrace at their residence in Jalvayu Vihar in Noida on the outskirts of Delhi.
The high-profile case was handed over to CBI after a recommendation to the effect by the then Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister, in the wake of outcry against alleged shoddy investigation by the police.
A closure report was filed by the CBI in December, 2010, wherein Rajesh Talwar had been called the sole suspect but lack of adequate evidence was also cited. However, in February, 2011, the special court at Ghaziabad expressed the view that there was enough evidence against Aarsuhi`s parents and initiated proceedings against them.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy