Aarushi case: Nupur Talwar sent to jail
New Delhi: Nupur Talwar, mother of murdered teenager Aarushi, was on Monday jailed after a special CBI court rejected her bail application in the case of murder of her 14-year-old daughter and domestic help in Noida four years ago.
Nupur, a dentist by profession, broke down on hearing the decision of Additional District and Sessions Judge Shyamlal who rejected her interim bail plea and posted the application for regular bail for hearing tomorrow.
She would have to spend at least tonight and will be lodged in barrack number 13 of the district jail where her husband Rajesh had earlier spent 50 days after his arrest in the case.
A shattered Nupur, who had the company of her husband and a few relatives in the special CBI court where she was waiting in judicial custody, was taken by women constables in a police van to Dasna jail.
On a dramatic day of court hopping, Nupur failed to get relief from a Special CBI court before which she surrendered this morning following a Supreme Court directive to her to do so.
As she was taken under judicial custody immediately, Nupur waited in Special Judge Preeti Singh`s court the whole day while her lawyers knocked at the doors of the District and Sessions Judge Bharat Bhushan pleading with him to hear an application for a regular bail.
In case the regular was not being heard the court should atleast consider her interim bail, her lawyers pleaded.
Judge Bharat Bhushan referred the matter to Additional District and Sessions Judge Shayamlal before whom the petition came up in the post-lunch session.
Judge Shyamlal heard the arguments of both the sides and reserved the order till late in the evening when he rejected her plea for interim bail and posted the application for regular bail for hearing tomorrow.
On April 27, the Supreme Court had refused to stay the non-bailable warrant issued against Nupur by the Ghaziabad court and directed her to surrender before the special court today.
However, the apex court said that Nupur’s bail plea will be promptly considered if she surrenders before the special CBI court.
In the previous hearing, the central probe agency had argued before the Supreme Court that Nupur Talwar has been “misusing the law”.
The CBI accused Nupur of adopting a “delaying tactics” by filing petitions in various courts and urged the apex court to dismiss her review petitions.
The allegation by the CBI was made in a response filed on Nupur`s petition seeking review of apex court order allowing her prosecution in the case.
The investigating agency, which had assured the court not to arrest her during the pendency of her plea, submitted that the apex court should not entertain it as it is for the trial court to appreciate the evidences against her and pass appropriate order.
The non-bailable warrant was issued against her by the Ghaziabad court for not appearing for a hearing in the 2008 Aarushi-Hemraj double murder case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video