Aarushi case: Talwars demand restrain on media
New Delhi: Parents of Aarushi Talwar have
approached the Supreme Court to restrain a section of media
from propagating "irresponsible and uninformed conspiracy
theories" about the unsolved murder of the teenager two years
ago in Noida.
"Irresponsible and uninformed conspiracy theories being
floated by a section of the media with the sole purpose of
satisfying the voyeuristic curiosity of the readership and
viewership," the application filed by Dr Rajesh Talwar, father
of deceased school student Aarushi said.
"This is not only prejudicing the conduct of the ongoing
investigation in pending criminal proceedings but the same is
also complete disregard of the respect and reputation of the
persons families connected with the case," it said.
The matter is likely to come for hearing next week.
Aarushi, the 14-year-old daughter of the dentist couple
Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, was found dead with her throat slit
in her parents` home at Jalvayu Vihar in Noida on May 16,
2008. Her domestic help Hemraj was also found murdered in the
same house the next day.
Even after two years of the heinous murder case the CBI
has still not been able to make a breakthrough and catch the
culprit behind the double murder.
In their written application, the Talwars have asked the
court to pass orders which: "Refrain the press and electronic
media from exhibiting/showing/publishing/reporting any such
information which may have the effect of prejudicing the
conduct of investigation in the pending criminal proceedings
and or/damaging the reputation of the applicant and his
This is in addition to the earlier writ petition filed
by a senior advocate of the Supreme Court, Dr Surat Singh
seeking framing of guidelines for responsible media coverage
of sensitive cases so as not to harm the reputation of people
The application alleged that the electronic and print
media "obdurately and disdainfully were continuing with their
reckless `whodunit` speculative reportage related to Aarushi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab