Aarushi-Hemraj murder case: SC dismisses Talwars` plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar`s plea against CBI for dropping its 14 witnesses in the Aarushi-Hemraj murder case trial.
A bench of justices BS Chauhan and Dipak Misra said CBI cannot be compelled to summon all its witnesses in the case and the couple can file an application for examining those witnesses including ADG (Law and Order) of Uttar Pradesh and then CBI Joint Director Arun Kumar.
"How can you compel the other party. Law permits you to examine those witnesses," the bench said.
"Why are you in hurry. Recording of your statement is going on. After that you try to examine them," the court said.
The Talwars had moved the apex court challenging the Allahabad High Court order refusing their plea to summon 14 witnesses in the case.
The trial court had dismissed their petition on May 6 and ordered recording of statements of Rajesh and Nupur, who are the main accused. The statement of CBI Investigating Officer AGL Kaul, the last prosecution witness, has already been recorded.
The CBI case is that the murder of 14-year-old Aarushi five years ago was carried out by her parents and that no outsider was present.
In his deposition before the special court, Kaul, who headed the CBI probe, had submitted that the agency`s investigation had revealed no evidence of any third person`s entry into the Talwar residence.
Aarushi was found dead with her throat slit in her bedroom on May 16, 2008. The initial suspicion went on Hemraj whose body was later found in the terrace at their residence in Jalvayu Vihar in Noida on the outskirts of Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir