Aarushi murder case: Hearing deferred till May 14
New Delhi: The Ghaziabad sessions court on Friday deferred hearing in the sensational double murder case of Aarushi Talwar and Hemraj till May 14 on the first day of the trial, which began after four years.
As the proceedings began, the counsel of Dr Nupur and Rajesh Talwar, co-accused in the case, demanded the CBI to give its case diary to which the central probe agency strongly objected.
The CBI, while refusing to do so, contended that the case diary, which contains important references to various aspects of the case, cannot be given to them as it could be used to weaken the case further.
After hearing the arguments of both sides, the court then posted the matter for next hearing on May 14.
Both Nupur and Rajesh Talwar were present in the sessions court in Ghaziabad, where the trial began.
Causing a huge setback to the Talwars, the Supreme Court on Thursday refused to hear the bail plea of Nupur Talwar.
An apex court bench comprising Justice AK Patnaik and Justice JS Khehar turned down the request of senior counsel Harish Salve appearing for Nupur to take up the bail petition for hearing since Friday is the last working day in Supreme Court before summer vacation.
The judges made it clear that they will take up the bail application of petitioner only after hearing the review petition filed by her.
The court will reopen on July 2 after summer vacation. However, the application could be taken up by a vacation bench in case of urgency.
If the Allahabad high court, where another plea has been filed, refuses to grant her bail, Nupur may have to remain in jail till July 2.
Nupur, who faces trial in the case along with husband Rajesh, has been lodged in Dasna jail.
Aarushi was murdered on the intervening night of May 16-17, 2008 at her Noida residence and the body of the Talwars` domestic help Hemraj was found on the terrace of the house the next day.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre