Aarushi murder case: Talwars move SC for summoning witnesses
New Delhi: Dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar on Friday moved the Supreme Court challenging the Allahabad High Court order refusing their plea to summon 14 witnesses in the Aarushi-Hemraj murder case trial.
The couple`s appeal against the High Court order was mentioned before a bench comprising justices BS Chauhan and Dipak Misra which posted the matter for hearing on May 28.
This the second time this month that they have knocked the doors of the apex court with the plea to summon additional witnesses, including ADG (Law and Order) Uttar Pradesh and then CBI joint director Arun Kumar to record their statements.
They have challenged the dismissal of their petition by High Court`s May 21 order which had said: "There is no need to force the prosecution to call witnesses other than those it deems proper."
The High Court was of the view that the trial court had the right to decide which of the witnesses should be summoned and their statements recorded.
The couple had moved the High Court after the apex court on May 13 had refused to entertain their petition after taking strong exception to Talwars directly challenging the trial court`s order before it.
The apex court bench had asked them to approach the High Court saying it was a wrong procedure to approach the Supreme Court directly.
While the Talwars are seeking legal redressal at higher courts, the trial court is going ahead with its proceedings in which they are facing trial in the murder case of their teenaged daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj.
The trial court had dismissed their petition on May 06 and ordered recording of statements of Rajesh and Nupur, who are the main accused. The statement of CBI Investigating Officer AGL Kaul, the last prosecution witness, has already been recorded. The CBI case is that the murder of 14-year-old Aarushi five years ago was carried out by her parents and that no outsider was present.
In his deposition before the special court, Kaul, who headed the CBI probe, had submitted that the agency`s investigation had revealed no evidence of any third person`s entry into the Talwar residence.
Aarushi was found dead with her throat slit in her bedroom on May 16, 2008. The initial suspicion went on Hemraj whose body was later found in the terrace at their residence in Jalvayu Vihar in Noida on the outskirts of Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday