Aarushi probe must continue: Girija Vyas
New Delhi: Expressing her dismay over CBI’s decision to file the closure report in the sensational Aarushi double murder case, National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Girija Vyas on Thursday said that the investigations into the case must continue.
NCW chief also stressed that only through strict punishment can the harassment cases against women can be reduced in the country.
Speaking to reporters here, Vyas highlighted the need for more fast track courts to deal with cases of harassment against women, adding that NCW is working towards making men understand the need to treat women equally.
CBI had yesterday filed its closure report in a special court in Ghaziabad in the two-and-a-half-year-old Aarushi murder case in which a teenager and her domestic help were killed at their residence.
14-year-old daughter of dentist couple Rajesh Talwar and Nupur was found dead with her throat slit at their house at Jalwayu Vihar at Noida on May 16, 2008.
CBI had arrested the three suspects -- Raj Kumar, Vijay Mandal and Krishna -- in the case, but they were let off citing lack of substantial evidence. Their lawyer has claimed that the investigating agency is trying to shield the real accused.
Not just Aarushi’s parents Nupur and Rajesh, the civil society has termed the CBI’s decision as unfair and has united to press for reopening the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH