Abandoning of brides by NRI grooms a serious problem: CJI
Hoshiarpur: Noting that increasing cases of abandoning of wives by their NRI grooms have emerged as a serious problem, Chief Justice of India Justice Altamas Kabir on Sunday asked parents to thoroughly verify details of their prospective in-laws.
Justice Kabir, who was addressing a seminar on the issue here, said illegal immigration by fake travel agents was responsible for the growing problem.
He said green pasture in foreign countries was attracting youths, due to which many of them were getting exploited by the so called travel agents.
Justice Kabir said India was a rich and resourceful country where any individual can flourish.
Going through illegal ways always creates problems not only to the person who goes abroad, but also to his family, Kabir observed.
On the issue of large number of pending cases in various courts across the country, Justice Kabir said he cannot blame any government agency for delay in disposal of cases.
The seminar `NRI Abandoned Brides and Illegal Immigration` was jointly organised by Punjab Legal Services Authority in association with Punjab State Commission for NRIs at Panjab University SSG Regional Centre at Bajwara near here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj