Abdul Samad Bhatkal released from Arthur Road Jail
Mumbai: Abdul Samad Bhatkal, whose arrest in
an illegal arms seizure case and suspected link with German
Bakery blast in Pune had created a controversy, was today
released from the Arthur Road Jail here.
The release came nearly three weeks after he was granted
On June 15, a court had granted bail to Samad, arrested
in connection with an 2009 arms seizure case and alleged to be
involved in the Pune blast case, saying there was no evidence
23-year-old Samad, a resident of Bhatkal district near
Mangalore in Karnataka, had filed a bail application in the
court of Additional Sessions Judge S L Pathan claiming that he
was not an accused in the arms case involving Chhota Shakeel
for which he had been arrested.
Samad was picked up by Maharashtra`s Anti-Terrorism
Squad(ATS) on May 25 at Mangalore airport purportedly based on
its look-out circular, after he returned from Dubai and
immediately Union Home Ministry was informed about it.
He was charged with supplying of arms to three persons
arrested from South Mumbai in August, 2009.
Samad`s family claimed that he has been framed.
After the arrest of Samad, the ATS has not managed to
find any substantial evidence against him to nail him in the
Pune blast case.
Ironically, when he was arrested, he was touted as a
"prize catch" in the Pune blast in which 17 persons were
killed but later the ATS in its remand application filed in
court mentioned that they did not need his custody in the
Further, the application did not mention anything about
his involvement in the German Bakery blast.
Interestingly, on the day of his arrest, even Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram had congratulated the ATS on making the
first arrest in the Pune blast case raising questions whether
the Centre was misled. But, later Chidambaram urged "caution".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- We are now talking to China eye-to-eye, raising issues of Indian interests boldly: PM Narendra Modi
- Release date of Salman Khan starrer 'Sultan' announced!
- What you need to know about dietary supplements!
- Euro 2016: Italy Vs Spain, England Vs Iceland; players to watch out for
- Govt pursuing black money very aggressively: Jayant Sinha