Abdul Samad Bhatkal released from Arthur Road Jail
Mumbai: Abdul Samad Bhatkal, whose arrest in
an illegal arms seizure case and suspected link with German
Bakery blast in Pune had created a controversy, was today
released from the Arthur Road Jail here.
The release came nearly three weeks after he was granted
On June 15, a court had granted bail to Samad, arrested
in connection with an 2009 arms seizure case and alleged to be
involved in the Pune blast case, saying there was no evidence
23-year-old Samad, a resident of Bhatkal district near
Mangalore in Karnataka, had filed a bail application in the
court of Additional Sessions Judge S L Pathan claiming that he
was not an accused in the arms case involving Chhota Shakeel
for which he had been arrested.
Samad was picked up by Maharashtra`s Anti-Terrorism
Squad(ATS) on May 25 at Mangalore airport purportedly based on
its look-out circular, after he returned from Dubai and
immediately Union Home Ministry was informed about it.
He was charged with supplying of arms to three persons
arrested from South Mumbai in August, 2009.
Samad`s family claimed that he has been framed.
After the arrest of Samad, the ATS has not managed to
find any substantial evidence against him to nail him in the
Pune blast case.
Ironically, when he was arrested, he was touted as a
"prize catch" in the Pune blast in which 17 persons were
killed but later the ATS in its remand application filed in
court mentioned that they did not need his custody in the
Further, the application did not mention anything about
his involvement in the German Bakery blast.
Interestingly, on the day of his arrest, even Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram had congratulated the ATS on making the
first arrest in the Pune blast case raising questions whether
the Centre was misled. But, later Chidambaram urged "caution".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India