`Aberrations in judiciary reflection of society`
Panaji: The few aberrations in an otherwise highly efficient judiciary are only a reflection of society and these have to be removed, union Minister of Law and Justice M Veerappa Moily said Sunday.
Speaking at a regional review meeting of the implementation of the 13th Finance Commission recommendations on improving justice delivery and other matters here, Moily also underlined the importance of retaining the independence of the judiciary.
The minister made these observations in the presence of chief justices of five high courts of the western region.
"The judiciary in India is of the high standards. Some aberrations are there, but they are a reflection of society. These aberrations have to be removed," Moily said in his written statement, without making any direct reference to corruption in the judicial system.
The western regional meeting of chief justices comes after similar consultative meetings in Guwahati, Kolkata and Chennai organised to discuss the disbursement and utilisation of the Rs 5,000 crore allotted by the 13th Finance Commission this financial year for improving courts and the justice delivery system.
Out of the allocation, Rs 2,500 crore would be spent on creation of morning and evening courts for disposal of petty cases.
Around Rs 750 crore will be spent on creation of an alternative dispuste redressal system and Rs 100 crore will be spend on forming Lok Adalats for quick disposal of cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi