Abhishek sidelined at Earth Hour event: Big B
Mumbai: The Bachchan family seems to be controversy’s favourite child. After the brouhaha over the presence of Amitabh Bachchan at the opening ceremony of Mumbai Sea Link’s second carriageway, this time around it’s Abhishek Bachchan who has got embroiled in a fresh controversy.
In his blog, Amitabh Bachchan said that his son Abhishek Bachchan’s video message on climate change as well as his campaign posters were removed at the WWF`s Earth Hour 2010 campaign on Saturday. The event held at Delhi’s iconic India Gate was witnessed by many dignitaries and was also attended by Chief Minister Sheila Dixit.
Incidentally, Abhishek Bachchan is the brand ambassador of WWF`s Earth Hour 2010 to support action on climate change.
An anguished Amitabh Bachchan wrote on his blog, “But there is more alarming news. You are perhaps aware that Abhishek has been appointed the WWF (World Wildlife Foundation) ambassador for Earth Day, a campaign that has been initiated by WWF for the preservation of the earth. Many advertisements in the press have been announcing, with his photograph in place, that on the 27th of March let the entire country observe a simple ritual of putting off the electricity in their homes for an hour from 8.30 PM to 9.30 PM.”
“At the India Gate on Rajpath a ceremony is being held today to announce the campaign and to make people aware of this most noble cause. An audio visual has been prepared with Abhishek where he is seeking a pledge towards preservation of the Earth and requesting people to switch off their lights for an hour.”
“The Chief Minister of Delhi, Mrs Sheila Dixit, and a prominent member of the ruling Congress Party, is attending the moment. A few hours before the show was to start apparently the audio visual featuring Abhishek has been asked to be removed and banner posters bearing his photograph as Ambassador have been stopped from being displayed!!”
However, Abhishek Bachchan downplayed the incident as he tweeted, “I had sent a video msg for all at the event, thanking them for their participation and support, but for some reason that couldn`t be shown.”
Even as WWF declined to comment upon the controversy, Chief Minister Sheila Dixit said that she did not know whether Abhishek Bachchan was the brand ambassador of WWF`s Earth Hour 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS