Abhishek Singhvi reinstated as Congress spokesman
New Delhi: Abhishek Singhvi has been
reinstated as a Congress spokesperson after a gap of over one
and half month since the party took him off as its public face
following a controversy over his appearance in a lottery case
in Kerala High Court.
AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said "he
(Singhvi) has told the party leadership that it was an error
of judgement on his part. He has now been called back as party
spokesperson. He will hold a press conference tomorrow."
In the first week of October, Singhvi was barred from
holding media briefings.
The appearance of Singhvi, an eminent lawyer, in the
High Court in the lottery case had raised a storm in the
Kerala unit of Congress which had launched a campaign against
promoters of lotteries from outside the state and senior state
Congress leaders had complained to the AICC over his action.
The ruling Left Democratic Front had seized the issue
to strike back at the Congress-led United Democratic Front
which has taken up the lotteries as one of the major issues in
the campaign for civic polls this month.
Singhvi, who is also the Deputy Chairman of the AICC
media department, had earlier maintained that he was appearing
for the Government of Bhutan in support of a central
government enactment and regulation of 2010 and it had nothing
to do with politics. Later, however, he announced his decision
to withdraw from the case to "avoid any communication gap or
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in