Abhishek Verma alleges threat to life, extortion bid
New Delhi: Arms dealer Abhishek Verma, in judicial custody for allegedly violating the Official Secrets Act, has claimed there is a constant threat to his life from fellow inmates and people outside jail and of extortion.
The allegations were made in his plea for continuation of a separate jail van before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash. The court has called for a report from DCP III Battalion of Delhi Police on his plea.
Verma had moved the court against "withdrawal of facility of separate jail van notwithstanding constant threats for extortion and to his life".
He sought directions to the jail authorities for continuation of separate jail van for transportation from jail to court and back, hospital visits and meeting his wife in judicial custody due to high perception threats and extortion demands and life threats from hardcore criminal gangs and other persons.
Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu are in jail since June 21, 2012 in this case where they have been named in a charge sheet by the CBI, along with their company Ganton India Pvt Ltd and a former Wing Commander of Indian Air Force for allegedly possessing secret defence documents and supplying them to foreign nationals in violation of the Official Secrets Act.
In his plea, Verma told the court he was given separate jail van and was allowed to meet his wife in judicial custody on Saturdays due to his being a high-profile special case and perception of threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: Is Sanskrit language losing its importance in India?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them