Abhishek Verma alleges threat to life, extortion bid
New Delhi: Arms dealer Abhishek Verma, in judicial custody for allegedly violating the Official Secrets Act, has claimed there is a constant threat to his life from fellow inmates and people outside jail and of extortion.
The allegations were made in his plea for continuation of a separate jail van before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash. The court has called for a report from DCP III Battalion of Delhi Police on his plea.
Verma had moved the court against "withdrawal of facility of separate jail van notwithstanding constant threats for extortion and to his life".
He sought directions to the jail authorities for continuation of separate jail van for transportation from jail to court and back, hospital visits and meeting his wife in judicial custody due to high perception threats and extortion demands and life threats from hardcore criminal gangs and other persons.
Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu are in jail since June 21, 2012 in this case where they have been named in a charge sheet by the CBI, along with their company Ganton India Pvt Ltd and a former Wing Commander of Indian Air Force for allegedly possessing secret defence documents and supplying them to foreign nationals in violation of the Official Secrets Act.
In his plea, Verma told the court he was given separate jail van and was allowed to meet his wife in judicial custody on Saturdays due to his being a high-profile special case and perception of threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part IV
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Coolpad launches virtual reality headset at Rs 999
- Grounds need to be watered, match or no match: Narendra Modi on IPL drought row
- What is Article 50? The key to Brexit
- GER V SVK: Slovakia eye Germany upset in Euro 2016 pre-quarters
- WAL v NIR: Gareth McAuley own-goal sends Wales into Quarter-finals of Euro 2016