Abhishek Verma case: IT may approach Swiss authorities
New Delhi: Income Tax department authorities may soon approach the Swiss government to obtain fresh information on the investments and finances of arms dealer Abhishek Verma for its probe against him and his associates for alleged tax evasion.
The IT may approach the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) to activate the provisions of the revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) with the alpine nation after Verma was recently arrested by CBI for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms company to delist them from the companies blacklisted by Indian government.
Under the DTAA, the IT can obtain banking and other tax related details against an individual for launching criminal prosecution under Indian laws.
The tax department is looking to probe a recent complaint filed by Verma in a local court alleging that his US-based business partner C Edmonds Allen, an American attorney, and Delhi-based Arjun Arora had duped him of Rs 55 crore, which was to be paid to him in lieu of his consultancy services to them.
The IT`s criminal investigation directorate has recently participated in the searches on Verma`s premises conducted by the CBI as it feels that this Rs 55 crore could be unaccounted and illegal.
The department feels that it can gather details related to Verma`s sources of income and assets by approaching Switzerland, as it has been probing his financial dealings in the Naval war room leak case, also under the scanner for money laundering charges by the Enforcement Directorate.
The latest probe by the IT is in the same case as that of the CBI--regarding transactions of funds between Ganton India and Ganton USA, which are claimed to be Verma`s front companies and about his business relationships with estranged associate C Edmon Allen who has levelled series of allegations against him with the US Federal Bureau of Investigation.
If the IT unravels that these incomes have been made and hidden by Verma from authorities, the cases of both the CBI and ED in probing these defence deals would be strengthened, sources privy to the development said.
CBI had booked Verma in a fresh case alleging that he took USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) on the promise that he would use his influence to stall blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
Verma and his wife were sent to seven days CBI custody by a local court yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi