Abhishek Verma, his wife sent to JC till Sept 28
New Delhi: Arms dealer Abhishek Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neacsu were on Friday remanded in judicial custody by a Delhi court in a case lodged against them for allegedly possessing Defence Ministry`s secret documents and supplying them to foreign nationals.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash remanded Verma and his wife to judicial custody till September 28 after the CBI said it did not need them for further custodial interrogation.
The probe agency had registered a fresh case against the couple on August 28 under the Official Secrets Act on a defence ministry`s complaint.
The duo were earlier remanded to the CBI custody for ten days on September 4 for their custodial interrogation and confrontation with incriminating documents collected so far as well as to ascertain the involvement of other persons, if any.
Verma`s wife Anca also sought the court`s permission to carry cosmetics inside jail. The court directed jail superintendent to consider her request as per the jail manual.
In an FIR registered on August 28, the CBI had said the Defence Ministry on June 6 had received a letter from Verma`s business partner and Ganton Pvt Ltd`s President C Edmond Allen with some documents annexed to it.
Upon verification, some of the documents were found to be "secret" and a complaint was made to the CBI by the ministry on August 27 following which a case under section 3 of the Official Secrets Act (passing sensitive information) and of criminal conspiracy under the Indian Penal Code was registered against Verma and his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again