Abhishek Verma, wife in CBI custody till June 21
New Delhi: A special court on Saturday extended till June 21 the CBI custody of Abhishek Verma, businessman and naval war room leak case accused, and his wife in a graft case.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Talwant Singh remanded Verma and his wife Anca Anca Neacsu, a Romanian national, to the probe agency`s custody for five more days.
The CBI on June 9 arrested Verma and his wife for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms company to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the Indian government against it. They were booked under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The probe agency had requested the court to grant another seven days` custody of the accused for interrogation and confronting them with documents.
Verma`s counsel Vijay Agarwal opposed the CBI`s remand plea, saying that there should be a stronger ground for seeking custody.
The two accused were arrested a few weeks after the government blacklisted six defence companies, including Switzerland`s Rheinmetall Air Defence (RAD). The CBI June 8 registered a fresh case against Verma and raided his premises.
Verma has been accused of taking $530,000 from RAD for using his influence to stall the blacklisting proceedings against it.
He is also an accused in the 2006 naval war room case linked to leaking classified documents from the Directorate of Naval Operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...