Abhishek Verma, wife remanded to judicial custody
New Delhi: Businessman Abhishek Verma and his Romanian wife, arrested for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arm on promise that it will not be blacklisted by the Indian government, were on Thursday remanded to judicial custody till July 4 by a Delhi court.
Verma and his newly-wed Romanian wife Ancia Neascu, who were arrested by CBI on June 8, were produced before Special Judge Sanjeev Jain and the agency told the court that they should be sent to judicial custody as the probe in the case is still going on.
"The investigation officer (IO) has requested for judicial custody of both the accused as the investigation in the case is pending. Both the accused are remanded to judicial custody till July 4," the judge said.
The court also issued notice to the CBI for July 4 for its response on Ancia Neascu`s bail plea.
After the court remanded both the accused to judicial custody, counsel for Ancia sought the court`s permission to allow his client to take some articles, including cosmetics used for prevention from allergy, to the jail.
The court, however, refused to entertain the application and the counsel did not press for it.
Regarding the defence counsel plea that home-cooked food be allowed to be provided to the accused in the jail, the court asked the prison authorities to consider the request as per the jail rules.
The couple was arrested by the CBI on June 8 after the agency registered a fresh case against them.
In the new case, Verma has been accused of taking USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using his influence to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez