Abolishing death penalty: Par panel members for broader debate
New Delhi: Majority of the members of a Parliamentary panel on Thursday supported capital punishment for rapists in cases where the victim either dies or is left in a persistent vegetative state.
At the meeting of the Standing Committee on Home Affairs, three members-- D Raja (CPI), Kanimozhi (DMK) and E T Mohammed Bashir-- said they were opposed to the overall concept of capital punishment in the country.
The committee is examining the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2012.
It is learnt that they, however, supported the concept of life imprisonment in which a convict has to spend the entire natural life in jail.
Sources said most of the members of the committee agreed that a broader debate was required on the issue of abolishing capital punishment from the country.
They also pointed that the committee is not mandated to review present laws but only to recommend changes in laws relating to crime against women.
During today`s meeting, almost all members agreed with the provision in the recently promulgated ordinance which provides for handing down death sentence to the convict if the rape victim either dies or is left in a "persistent vegetative state".
The government went beyond the Verma Committee`s recommendation by providing for capital punishment in the cases where rape leads to death of the victim or leaves her in "persistent vegetative state".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof