About 30% overcrowding in various jails: NCRB
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday said the
number of inmates in various jails across the country was
about 30 per cent more than their capacity till a couple of
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State
for Home, Ajay Maken said, "As per the statistics published by
the National Crime Records Bureau, there is 29.2 per cent of
overcrowding across 1,356 jails in the country till the end of
the year 2008."
Quoting the statistics provided by the NCRB, he said
that the authorised capacity of these jails is 2,97,777.
However, there were 3,84,753 priosoners lodged in them.
The government also informed that there was a shortage
of prison staff engaged in managing jails across the country.
"19,670 vacancies in the post of prison staff still
exist. The sanctioned strength across all jails is 68,920 and
the actual strength till the end of 2008 is 49,250," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs