About 30% overcrowding in various jails: NCRB
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday said the
number of inmates in various jails across the country was
about 30 per cent more than their capacity till a couple of
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State
for Home, Ajay Maken said, "As per the statistics published by
the National Crime Records Bureau, there is 29.2 per cent of
overcrowding across 1,356 jails in the country till the end of
the year 2008."
Quoting the statistics provided by the NCRB, he said
that the authorised capacity of these jails is 2,97,777.
However, there were 3,84,753 priosoners lodged in them.
The government also informed that there was a shortage
of prison staff engaged in managing jails across the country.
"19,670 vacancies in the post of prison staff still
exist. The sanctioned strength across all jails is 68,920 and
the actual strength till the end of 2008 is 49,250," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh