Absconding `93 blast suspect could be `Uncle`: ATS
Mumbai: The "Uncle" who was instructing
the two arrested suspected terrorists to carry out terror acts
in the city, could be Bashir Khan, an absconding accused in
the 1993 serial bomb blasts case, ATS officials said Tuesday.
"The verification to establish the identity of this
Uncle is still on. We cannot conclude that it is Bashir Khan
yet, but at the same time we also cannot deny. The Uncle could
be Bashir," an ATS official said.
Bashir Khan is an aide of Tiger Memon, who is closely
associated with underworld fugitive Dawood Ibrahim and one of
the masterminds of the 1993 blasts. Khan is accused of having
transported explosives to Mumbai prior to the serial blasts.
The ATS had on Sunday arrested two persons -- Abdul
Latif alias Guddu (29) and Riyaz Ali alias Rehan (23) -- for
allegedly planning to carry out terrorist attacks in the city.
The duo had allegedly conducted a recce of three
targets in the city -- headquarters of public sector petroleum
company Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Thakkar Mall
in suburban Mumbai and Mangaldas Market in south Mumbai.
According to the ATS, the duo was directed by a person
addressed as "Uncle".
"The `Uncle` is a close aide of Dawood and had escaped
to Pakistan following the 1993 serial bomb blasts," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400