Absconding `93 blast suspect could be `Uncle`: ATS
Mumbai: The "Uncle" who was instructing
the two arrested suspected terrorists to carry out terror acts
in the city, could be Bashir Khan, an absconding accused in
the 1993 serial bomb blasts case, ATS officials said Tuesday.
"The verification to establish the identity of this
Uncle is still on. We cannot conclude that it is Bashir Khan
yet, but at the same time we also cannot deny. The Uncle could
be Bashir," an ATS official said.
Bashir Khan is an aide of Tiger Memon, who is closely
associated with underworld fugitive Dawood Ibrahim and one of
the masterminds of the 1993 blasts. Khan is accused of having
transported explosives to Mumbai prior to the serial blasts.
The ATS had on Sunday arrested two persons -- Abdul
Latif alias Guddu (29) and Riyaz Ali alias Rehan (23) -- for
allegedly planning to carry out terrorist attacks in the city.
The duo had allegedly conducted a recce of three
targets in the city -- headquarters of public sector petroleum
company Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Thakkar Mall
in suburban Mumbai and Mangaldas Market in south Mumbai.
According to the ATS, the duo was directed by a person
addressed as "Uncle".
"The `Uncle` is a close aide of Dawood and had escaped
to Pakistan following the 1993 serial bomb blasts," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!