`Absconding accused cannot get anticipatory bail`
New Delhi: In a significant ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday said an absconding accused, who has also been declared a proclaimed offender, cannot be accorded the benefit of anticipatory bail.
"Normally, when the accused is absconding and declared a proclaimed offender, there is no question of granting anticipatory bail," said a bench of justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi.
"We reiterate that when a person against whom a warrant has been issued and is absconding or concealing himself in order to avoid execution of the warrant and declared a proclaimed offender in terms of Section 82 of the Criminal Procedure Code, is not entitled to the relief of anticipatory bail," the bench added.
The bench made the observation in its verdict dismissing the bail plea of a Delhi-based diamond merchant, Lavesh who is absconding since he was made a co-accused in the suicide case of his brother`s pregnant wife.
Vibha, who was married to Lavesh`s younger brother on January 19, 2010, had committed suicide within two years after tying the nuptial knot.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by the victim`s mother that her daughter was being harassed by her in-laws, who were demanding Rs five lakh more as dowry, an FIR was lodged against the victim`s husband and her in-laws including Lavesh.
While, the husband and mother-in-law of the victim were arrested, Lavesh absconded and was later declared proclaimed offender in the case.
As his successive anticipatory bail pleas were dismissed by the sessions court and the Delhi High Court, Lavesh had moved the apex court for anticipatory bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?