`Absconding accused cannot get anticipatory bail`
New Delhi: In a significant ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday said an absconding accused, who has also been declared a proclaimed offender, cannot be accorded the benefit of anticipatory bail.
"Normally, when the accused is absconding and declared a proclaimed offender, there is no question of granting anticipatory bail," said a bench of justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi.
"We reiterate that when a person against whom a warrant has been issued and is absconding or concealing himself in order to avoid execution of the warrant and declared a proclaimed offender in terms of Section 82 of the Criminal Procedure Code, is not entitled to the relief of anticipatory bail," the bench added.
The bench made the observation in its verdict dismissing the bail plea of a Delhi-based diamond merchant, Lavesh who is absconding since he was made a co-accused in the suicide case of his brother`s pregnant wife.
Vibha, who was married to Lavesh`s younger brother on January 19, 2010, had committed suicide within two years after tying the nuptial knot.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by the victim`s mother that her daughter was being harassed by her in-laws, who were demanding Rs five lakh more as dowry, an FIR was lodged against the victim`s husband and her in-laws including Lavesh.
While, the husband and mother-in-law of the victim were arrested, Lavesh absconded and was later declared proclaimed offender in the case.
As his successive anticipatory bail pleas were dismissed by the sessions court and the Delhi High Court, Lavesh had moved the apex court for anticipatory bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you