`Absconding accused cannot get anticipatory bail`
New Delhi: In a significant ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday said an absconding accused, who has also been declared a proclaimed offender, cannot be accorded the benefit of anticipatory bail.
"Normally, when the accused is absconding and declared a proclaimed offender, there is no question of granting anticipatory bail," said a bench of justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi.
"We reiterate that when a person against whom a warrant has been issued and is absconding or concealing himself in order to avoid execution of the warrant and declared a proclaimed offender in terms of Section 82 of the Criminal Procedure Code, is not entitled to the relief of anticipatory bail," the bench added.
The bench made the observation in its verdict dismissing the bail plea of a Delhi-based diamond merchant, Lavesh who is absconding since he was made a co-accused in the suicide case of his brother`s pregnant wife.
Vibha, who was married to Lavesh`s younger brother on January 19, 2010, had committed suicide within two years after tying the nuptial knot.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by the victim`s mother that her daughter was being harassed by her in-laws, who were demanding Rs five lakh more as dowry, an FIR was lodged against the victim`s husband and her in-laws including Lavesh.
While, the husband and mother-in-law of the victim were arrested, Lavesh absconded and was later declared proclaimed offender in the case.
As his successive anticipatory bail pleas were dismissed by the sessions court and the Delhi High Court, Lavesh had moved the apex court for anticipatory bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy