`Absconding accused cannot get anticipatory bail`
New Delhi: In a significant ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday said an absconding accused, who has also been declared a proclaimed offender, cannot be accorded the benefit of anticipatory bail.
"Normally, when the accused is absconding and declared a proclaimed offender, there is no question of granting anticipatory bail," said a bench of justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi.
"We reiterate that when a person against whom a warrant has been issued and is absconding or concealing himself in order to avoid execution of the warrant and declared a proclaimed offender in terms of Section 82 of the Criminal Procedure Code, is not entitled to the relief of anticipatory bail," the bench added.
The bench made the observation in its verdict dismissing the bail plea of a Delhi-based diamond merchant, Lavesh who is absconding since he was made a co-accused in the suicide case of his brother`s pregnant wife.
Vibha, who was married to Lavesh`s younger brother on January 19, 2010, had committed suicide within two years after tying the nuptial knot.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by the victim`s mother that her daughter was being harassed by her in-laws, who were demanding Rs five lakh more as dowry, an FIR was lodged against the victim`s husband and her in-laws including Lavesh.
While, the husband and mother-in-law of the victim were arrested, Lavesh absconded and was later declared proclaimed offender in the case.
As his successive anticipatory bail pleas were dismissed by the sessions court and the Delhi High Court, Lavesh had moved the apex court for anticipatory bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown