Abu Salem seeks bail in extortion case
New Delhi: Extradited gangster Abu Salem on Saturday moved a bail applicaton before a local court where he faces a case relating to alleged extortion of money from a businessman in 2002.
Salem moved the bail application before the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav.
Salem`s counsel M S Khan told the court that he (Salem) should be granted bail as he has already spent over five years in jail even as the law provides for a maximum punishment of seven years for the offence of extortion.
Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan, however, opposed his bail plea on the ground that Salem played a major role in the extortion nexus even while being outside the country.
The court has asked the Special Cell of Delhi Police to file a reply to Salem`s bail application.
Meanwhile, the prosecution witnesses to be examined on Saturday did not turn up in the court.
Salem was extradited from Portugal in 2005 to face trial in eight cases, including the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
He is currently lodged in Taloja jail in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Vin Diesel turns on nostalgic mode; writes heart-touching tribute to Paul Walker while filming 'Fast 8'
- Did you upgrade your WhatsApp to WhatsApp Gold?
- Ayushmann Khurrana's new Hitler/Chaplin look is worth a watch! View inside
- WATCH: Sir Alex Ferguson enters Manchester United FC dressing room, hugs Louis van Gaal
- Hollywood overpowers Bollywood at Box Office, again! 'X-Men Apocalypse' earns RS 10.16 cr