Abu Salem seeks bail in extortion case
New Delhi: Extradited gangster Abu Salem on Saturday moved a bail applicaton before a local court where he faces a case relating to alleged extortion of money from a businessman in 2002.
Salem moved the bail application before the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav.
Salem`s counsel M S Khan told the court that he (Salem) should be granted bail as he has already spent over five years in jail even as the law provides for a maximum punishment of seven years for the offence of extortion.
Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan, however, opposed his bail plea on the ground that Salem played a major role in the extortion nexus even while being outside the country.
The court has asked the Special Cell of Delhi Police to file a reply to Salem`s bail application.
Meanwhile, the prosecution witnesses to be examined on Saturday did not turn up in the court.
Salem was extradited from Portugal in 2005 to face trial in eight cases, including the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
He is currently lodged in Taloja jail in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what