Abu Salem seeks bail in extortion case
New Delhi: Extradited gangster Abu Salem on Saturday moved a bail applicaton before a local court where he faces a case relating to alleged extortion of money from a businessman in 2002.
Salem moved the bail application before the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav.
Salem`s counsel M S Khan told the court that he (Salem) should be granted bail as he has already spent over five years in jail even as the law provides for a maximum punishment of seven years for the offence of extortion.
Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan, however, opposed his bail plea on the ground that Salem played a major role in the extortion nexus even while being outside the country.
The court has asked the Special Cell of Delhi Police to file a reply to Salem`s bail application.
Meanwhile, the prosecution witnesses to be examined on Saturday did not turn up in the court.
Salem was extradited from Portugal in 2005 to face trial in eight cases, including the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
He is currently lodged in Taloja jail in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what