`Academic works on Gandhi are always of relevance`
New Delhi: Academic works on Mahatma Gandhi are always of interest and relevance as they throw light on his various aspects as a teacher, a social reformer and a leader of masses, Vice President Hamid Ansari said Wednesday.
Releasing a book on Gandhi, Ansari said Gandhi was the inventor of a new form of political activism in the country as an unarmed adversary of a mighty (British) empire.
"An academic work on Gandhiji is always of interest and relevance to the specialist and the generalist among the reading public. For it (the book) to be unveiled on the anniversary of his martyrdom does bestows on it a significance of its own," the Vice President said.
Authored by eminent historian Prof Mushirul Hasan, the book titled `Faith and Freedom: Gandhi in History` dwells upon several aspects of Gandhi`s personality, including his understanding and interpretation of Islam.
"All writings on Gandhi dwell on some aspect of the man, the teacher, the social reformer, the leader of masses, the preacher of communal harmony, the unarmed adversary of a mighty empire, the inventor of a new form of political activism, the mahatma to his country and its citizens," Ansari said.
The function was attended by author and sociologist Ashis Nandy and Gandhi`s grandson Gopal Krishna Gandhi.
Nandy, who recently stirred up a controversy for his comments that people from backward sections of society are promoting corruption, said Gandhi did not believe in primacy of history.
"Gandhi did not believe in the primacy of history. He was a critique of history," Nandy told the gathering.
Gopal Krishna Gandhi also shared a few anecdotes from Gandhiji life, reflecting his commitment to the freedom struggle and various other social causes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption