`Academic works on Gandhi are always of relevance`
New Delhi: Academic works on Mahatma Gandhi are always of interest and relevance as they throw light on his various aspects as a teacher, a social reformer and a leader of masses, Vice President Hamid Ansari said Wednesday.
Releasing a book on Gandhi, Ansari said Gandhi was the inventor of a new form of political activism in the country as an unarmed adversary of a mighty (British) empire.
"An academic work on Gandhiji is always of interest and relevance to the specialist and the generalist among the reading public. For it (the book) to be unveiled on the anniversary of his martyrdom does bestows on it a significance of its own," the Vice President said.
Authored by eminent historian Prof Mushirul Hasan, the book titled `Faith and Freedom: Gandhi in History` dwells upon several aspects of Gandhi`s personality, including his understanding and interpretation of Islam.
"All writings on Gandhi dwell on some aspect of the man, the teacher, the social reformer, the leader of masses, the preacher of communal harmony, the unarmed adversary of a mighty empire, the inventor of a new form of political activism, the mahatma to his country and its citizens," Ansari said.
The function was attended by author and sociologist Ashis Nandy and Gandhi`s grandson Gopal Krishna Gandhi.
Nandy, who recently stirred up a controversy for his comments that people from backward sections of society are promoting corruption, said Gandhi did not believe in primacy of history.
"Gandhi did not believe in the primacy of history. He was a critique of history," Nandy told the gathering.
Gopal Krishna Gandhi also shared a few anecdotes from Gandhiji life, reflecting his commitment to the freedom struggle and various other social causes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India