`Academic works on Gandhi are always of relevance`
New Delhi: Academic works on Mahatma Gandhi are always of interest and relevance as they throw light on his various aspects as a teacher, a social reformer and a leader of masses, Vice President Hamid Ansari said Wednesday.
Releasing a book on Gandhi, Ansari said Gandhi was the inventor of a new form of political activism in the country as an unarmed adversary of a mighty (British) empire.
"An academic work on Gandhiji is always of interest and relevance to the specialist and the generalist among the reading public. For it (the book) to be unveiled on the anniversary of his martyrdom does bestows on it a significance of its own," the Vice President said.
Authored by eminent historian Prof Mushirul Hasan, the book titled `Faith and Freedom: Gandhi in History` dwells upon several aspects of Gandhi`s personality, including his understanding and interpretation of Islam.
"All writings on Gandhi dwell on some aspect of the man, the teacher, the social reformer, the leader of masses, the preacher of communal harmony, the unarmed adversary of a mighty empire, the inventor of a new form of political activism, the mahatma to his country and its citizens," Ansari said.
The function was attended by author and sociologist Ashis Nandy and Gandhi`s grandson Gopal Krishna Gandhi.
Nandy, who recently stirred up a controversy for his comments that people from backward sections of society are promoting corruption, said Gandhi did not believe in primacy of history.
"Gandhi did not believe in the primacy of history. He was a critique of history," Nandy told the gathering.
Gopal Krishna Gandhi also shared a few anecdotes from Gandhiji life, reflecting his commitment to the freedom struggle and various other social causes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Asaram Bapu shown as 'saint' in Rajasthan school book
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown