`Academic works on Gandhi are always of relevance`
New Delhi: Academic works on Mahatma Gandhi are always of interest and relevance as they throw light on his various aspects as a teacher, a social reformer and a leader of masses, Vice President Hamid Ansari said Wednesday.
Releasing a book on Gandhi, Ansari said Gandhi was the inventor of a new form of political activism in the country as an unarmed adversary of a mighty (British) empire.
"An academic work on Gandhiji is always of interest and relevance to the specialist and the generalist among the reading public. For it (the book) to be unveiled on the anniversary of his martyrdom does bestows on it a significance of its own," the Vice President said.
Authored by eminent historian Prof Mushirul Hasan, the book titled `Faith and Freedom: Gandhi in History` dwells upon several aspects of Gandhi`s personality, including his understanding and interpretation of Islam.
"All writings on Gandhi dwell on some aspect of the man, the teacher, the social reformer, the leader of masses, the preacher of communal harmony, the unarmed adversary of a mighty empire, the inventor of a new form of political activism, the mahatma to his country and its citizens," Ansari said.
The function was attended by author and sociologist Ashis Nandy and Gandhi`s grandson Gopal Krishna Gandhi.
Nandy, who recently stirred up a controversy for his comments that people from backward sections of society are promoting corruption, said Gandhi did not believe in primacy of history.
"Gandhi did not believe in the primacy of history. He was a critique of history," Nandy told the gathering.
Gopal Krishna Gandhi also shared a few anecdotes from Gandhiji life, reflecting his commitment to the freedom struggle and various other social causes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow