‘Acceptable to all Lokpal Bill within 3 months’
New Delhi: Chairman of the Standing Committee
on Lokpal Abhishek Singhvi on Monday said differences between Team
Anna and the government was not much on content but on the
methodology and promised to present an "acceptable to all" bill
within three months.
"You and I are together as far the objective and content
is concerned. The essence is similar if not identical and that
is fighting corruption. There could be relatively minor
differences in form.
"If the ways are a little different, it is because the
government is bound by a structure and Parliamentary process,"
Singhvi said when asked whether the Parliamentary panel could
end up incorporating the provisions of Jan Lokpal Bill when it
submits its final draft on Lokpal Bill to Parliament.
Noting that Parliamentary panels are given three months
initially to give their report and it is generally followed by
one or two extensions of three months each, Singhvi, however,
said the panel headed by him will give its recommendations
within three months.
"We will give recommendations on Lokpal Bill well before
the three-month period given to us," he said refusing to be
drawn into a debate on the deadline put by team Hazare.
"Competition in putting up conditions is not going to
solve the issue," he said.
Hazare`s associate Kiran Bedi, however, reacted sharply to
it saying "Singhvi had still not understood the fever. To see
the heat generated, they need to see it live."
Calling for "a little more reasonableness, restraint and
flexibility" from both sides, Singhvi said the Parliamentary
Standing Committees have the power make even up to 80 per cent
changes in the originally presented bill before it and that
"there should not be any doubt in anyone`s mind" about it.
If "suitable and appropriate" conditions are created, a
solution is possible, he stressed.
Singhvi said one must not think that the Standing
Committee will not consider the provisions of the Jan Lokpal
"I fail to understand why a reasonable solution could not
be found out," he said.
Asked whether the government can introduce another bill on
the same issue in Parliament without withdrawing the first,
Singhvi replied in negative.
"As far as private members` bills are concerned, there is
a separate process involved and that is between the member and
Lok Sabha Speaker or Rajya Sabha Chairman," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India