Accession of J&K to India is irrevocable, says RSS chief
Jammu: RSS chief Mohan Rao Bhagwat on Sunday said that accession of Jammu and Kashmir to India was irrevocable and launched a veiled attack at Chief Minister Omar Abdullah for telling a European delegation that the accession was on four matters and the state had "only acceded and not merged".
"The accession of Jammu and Kashmir with the rest of India is not due to the document of accession. Kashmir was ours since times immemorial. Accession is irreversible and irrevocable," Bhagwat said.
He was addressing a rally of `Swayam Sevaks` at Parade ground here this evening.
Without mentioning the name of Omar, Bhagwat criticised the statement he made during his meeting with the European delegation.
Omar had, during the recent meeting, said that, "While all the states acceded to Union of India and then merged with it, Jammu and Kashmir only acceded and not merged. That is why we have a special status, our own state flag and Constitution."
Bhagwat referred to the glorious reigns of Hindu King Lalitaditya and those before him while maintaining that J&K was part of India since "times immemorial".
While paying tributes to the martyred Army personnel and policemen in the recent terror attack in Jammu region, Bhagwat said that it is not only Army`s responsibility to safeguards our borders, "we all have to participate and contribute in our own little but significant ways to ensure that no harm befalls our motherland".
The RSS chief recalled the saying of Rabindra Nath Tagore during Bengal partition in which he had said that the path to Indian unity is through Hindu way of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH